Monday, July 20, 2009

Terrarium

Today Seth & I went to the thrift store to buy a picture frame for one of his pictures. While I was there I found a little glass container that would be perfect for a little terrarium. Last night I was looking on Etsy for terrariums. I found some amazing ones like the ones I found from doodlebirdie's shop!


The Secret Garden Moss Terrarium Globe - $24

Kitty Cat Terrarium - $36

Unfortunately they were all too expensive for me so I decided to try to make one myself. We went to the park so Seth could try out his new camera while I searched for moss for my terrarium. I found some and some rocks and placed them in my new container. When I got home I took some potting soil and placed it on the rocks and placed the moss over it. I followed by Mary Jane's tutorial except I didn't have any charcoal to put in it. Hopefully it will still be ok. And hopefully I did it right. I really didn't know what I was doing... Now if only I could afford the clay mushroom and gnomes! I will find something to place in mine eventually. I just love terrariums! They are tiny worlds inside a glass container. There is something magical about them. Now I will have to save up to get one of doodlebirdie's!

Here is a picture of mine. Now don't laugh! It isn't as beautiful as doodlebirdie's but I still think it's cute!

2 comments:

Altered Beauty said...

I absolutely LOVE doodlebirdie's shop! I haven't purchased from it yet but it made me want to create my own too (I haven't yet.) Yours turned out cute!!! Get some fimo or sculpey and make yourself some little doodads for your terrarium!

DoodleBird said...

Your terrarium is every bit as good as mine! Great job!!!! Thank you so much for your nice compliments about my shop, it makes my day. As Altered Beauty said, you can get some polymer clay for about $2 at the craft store and make your own accessories. Don't forget to poke a hole in the bottom before you put it in the oven so you can put a stake in afterwards.

Thanks again soooo much!! :-)